Saturday, September 12, 2020

A bartender with a heavy hand

 

When I was home from college one summer I announced to the folks that a few buddies and I were going to New Milford for an evening out. My father was curious and asked, "What's in New Milford?" I said we were going to a bar where the bartender had a heavy hand. 

Apparently the thought made my father nostalgic for his Army days. "When we were on leave we would travel to a place way up the road to find a bartender with a heavy hand. It's always good to find a bartender who knows how to pour a drink."

Many years later I was driving in New Mexico and saw a sign as I entered a small town saying, "Welcome, our bartenders have heavy hands". 

Today, though, I was sitting under a circus tent and the drinks came out in tiny plastic cups. No room there for a bartender with a heavy hand. I can't wait til they come out with a vaccine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment