Monday, June 14, 2021

Clubhouse and the rule of false scarcity

I've noticed that Clubhouse keeps coming up on podcasts I listen to.  It is a phone app where people can join in conversations with other people including some celebrities. Sort of like an upscale version of services like AOL or MSN or even ICQ had back in the day, with voice replacing texting. The thing that makes it particularly desirable, however, is that it is by invitation only. Like a swanky country club, you have to be invited by a member. 

In high school there used to be parties that only the "in" kids got invited to. Until senior year, I didn't even know these places existed. Of course we all remember when getting admitted to a club like Studio 54 was only available for the chosen few. Apparently Clubhouse is the new Studio 54. It is by invitation only. Creating a sense of scarcity can make even a mediocre place seem desirable, at least for those outside the rope line. I wish someone would invite me to Clubhouse. I'll be fun I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment