Saturday, April 9, 2022

Jury duty, revisited


There it was in my mailbox. A small blue card, looking like it purposely wants to be ignored. I look at it. It's probably nothing. Then, yikes, I read it. Jury duty!👿👿

I can't believe it. They want me to do jury service. Jury duty when you are retired is completely different from when you are working. When you are working it's like a nice break from the toils of the workplace. Instead of having to deal with those pesky library patrons I would be away from it all. Ensconced in the courthouse away from computers that do not start, printers that need toner and complaints about best sellers not being on the shelves. 

When you are working, jury duty allows you to chisel. You get out at 3PM and instead of going back to work you can run by the store and perhaps grab a choice stool at your favorite bar before it gets busy. You get a long lunch and can see that sculpture at the park. But when you are retired it means giving up your own time. Your own time is so much more valuable than work time. People who are happy to gab on the phone when at work will cut off a caller when they are at home. At home they are busy because it's their own time. Retirement hours are my hours.  Jury duty interrupts the happy idle hours of retirement. 


1 comment:

  1. Alas I have been called next week, broken knee notwithstanding. Heading to Dr. Today for medical excuse. Harumph.

    ReplyDelete