Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Spotted lantern fly

 


There he is. Our least favorite aspect of wildlife.  I was just sitting on the bench in a park and said to myself, "Haven't seen any of those things so far. Maybe we won't get as many this year." Then I walked on the blacktop around the lake and I spotted one. I smashed it with my foot. It was easy. Usually when I try to step on an insect it flies away. This guy just sat there and splat. Death on the trail.  I must have nailed five of them. One of them flew away and I followed him to the grass. He flew away again. Finally on the third try you could hear harps. 

Now when parents take the kids to the park they can add "Step on the spotted lantern flies, kids!" The kids will have a swell time running up and down the trail pulverizing the critters. Later when the kids are home, Mom asks Pop "I've never seen the kids so excited and aggressive. What were you guys doing out there?"

Pop replies, "Just doing what we were told to do on tv. Killing those spotted things.  And we all had a swell time." I wonder if you can eat them. 

Editor's note: Just spotted my first spotted lanternfly August 17, 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment