Saturday, June 2, 2012

Will it be a donut or an apple

Today I went to the Trenton Farmer's Market and it is always a treat. There is a great selection of foods and stores there. There's Polish places, Italian places, Amish places and fruit and vegetable stands, crowded together in a building that looks like it hasn't been remodeled since D Day.  It's kitschy but that's part of the charm of the place. 

Unexpectedly I learned about my true self. I had a couple of bags from the other farm stand I went to so I told the merchant he could put my apples and green onions in the bags I already had. "Well," I was told, "if you bring your own bag you get a choice of an apple or a donut."  Perhaps I was unwittingly part of a graduate student's case study. My mettle was being tested. At any rate I chose the donut over the apple. Mayor Bloomberg is right. Given the choice, most of us will choose something bad for us over something nutritious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment