Friday, April 19, 2024

We love our children



 Part of being a child in America is the burden of selling things to the parents, their parents' friends, relatives and neighbors. I remember as a tot being given twenty packets of seeds to be sold and the proceeds going to our school. Mom and Dad bought seeds, which I duly planted in our family plot. Neighbors also bought seeds with the proviso that our family would in turn buy Girl Scout cookies. In Boy Scouts I was given Christmas wreaths to be sold. We also had to sell magazines if we wanted to be in the band. 

Junior comes home from school. "I'm in the band!"

"Great, Mother says, what's that bag you are carrying?"

"Oh I have to sell twenty t shirts. They come in all sizes, How many do you want, Mom?"

Yesterday a grand niece sent me an email. "How sweet," I thought. Turns out it was from Snap Raise and it was so she could make her goal of an $850 contribution to her cheerleading squad. I gave $25. Now does that mean I can deduct $25 from her birthday gift? My friend said I shouldn't be cheap. 


No comments:

Post a Comment