Tuesday, July 3, 2018

So why are cherries so cheap



I was in my favorite place outside of work, the supermarket, and I noticed a man was putting bags of cherries on a display case.  The posted price was $1.99. I assumed it was per pound but upon closer inspection I saw it was per bag. And the bags were big, so big you couldn't close them. I went home and ate a few. Delicious, yes they had pits but still they were the best cherries I ever et. I had so many I brought some of them to the office just to get rid of them.

They were Washington state cherries. Why, I thought, would people ship cherries cross country to New Jersey to sell at such a cheap price? Curiosity reared its head. I found on Google a news story that perhaps explains the mystery. China is normally the main purchaser of Washington cherries but they are putting tariffs on American cherries. So I guess they are forced to sell them domestically, even to markets three thousand miles away.

Political decisions do affect our lives. Even the price of cherries at the store. A little lesson in macroeconomics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment