Thursday, March 7, 2019

Side hustles



When I was in college I was friends with a young woman who had side hustles. When she came to college two weeks late she explained that she was hustling up her tuition. "A hustle here, a hustle there and now I have tuition". Later I figured out that selling my radio was one of her side hustles.

One of the classic side hustles is selling stuff on e bay. People do make money doing it if they have the time and inherited neat stuff. Other side hustles involve selling birthday cakes to the neighbors, helping your brother with his contracting business on weekends, or for those with literary aspirations, writing a Kindle book.

Alexandria Octavio-Cortez has stated that side hustles move up the unemployment rate, but that is factually inaccurate. Having a side hustle does, however, give you a varied and potentially lucrative second life. Side hustles are also useful if you want to get out of things. "I'm sorry I can't teach Sunday school but I  reserve Sundays for my side hustle."


3 comments: