Friday, June 21, 2019

The changing meaning of drop


Recently I've noted that the word "drop" seems to have acquired a new meaning. A meaning at odds with its old meaning. Old:
I dropped a book. Meaning the book fell from my hands and landed on the floor. Old: The publisher dropped his book. Meaning the publisher is removing the book from its catalog, usually because of poor sales. New: I dropped my book today. Meaning I have released my book to an unsuspecting public. The publisher is dropping the new book. Meaning the publisher is adding the book to its catalog.

Confusing. Still, I dropped acid, she dropped her boyfriend, drop a dime (giving information to the police) is still in current use.

Editor's note: The long out of print paperback "To Drop a dime" is the classic book on organized crime in New Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment