Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Entering the Apple universe

 

Like many of us, mid December I started getting packages from Amazon. Some of them I opened, but one or two had warnings of "Do not open before Christmas". These I opened on the 23rd of December, close enough. 

I got the usual run of shirts, pajamas, toilet bowl lighters, and wool balls to make my laundry static free. Then I opened a large box. Ho! I got an Apple I pad!

Thus, jarringly, I was setting foot in a universe I have not explored since I had to maintain Macintoshes in the children's library in the 90s. I was entering a new world. A world, perhaps no stranger than the world of Linux, but a new world nonetheless. 

First I was told that my wireless connection had "weak security". Apparently I was supposed to have a wpa3 connection instead of the cable connection I had. However, after a few trials I was able to get online and even signed up for a free year of Apple TV. 

Using an I Pad is sort of like being in Singapore. Things run very efficiently but the rules are different in ways that may not be apparent. You can not just log onto the Internet. You need an app to run Google. You need a special app to run Facebook. You need an app to run YouTube. I did have a Face time conversation with my nephew in Texas. He now has a beard. 

I was waiting for the demand for payment to kick in. So far I have satisfied them that I have a PayPal account and have yet to buy anything. I am not cheap but once, when visiting Japan, I commented that the prices in Tokyo were not too bad. My host commented, "Sure, but you never buy anything!"


No comments:

Post a Comment