Thursday, June 17, 2021

Owners vs. renters


 When I was growing up, for the most part, couples with children owned their own homes. Unmarried people were more likely to rent apartments. Living in a condominium I have noticed that the opposite is now true. If I see an older couple walking their dog I say to myself, "Oh they must have sold that condo". Conversely if I notice children riding bicycles, I say "I see we have a new renter in the complex". 

People who have children rent and people who don't have children, at least in the house, are more likely to own. Of  course that's not actually true but it seems that way. There used to be an unwritten rule. When you marry the families pay for the wedding, the honeymoon, and the down payment on a home. The children would  grow up in the suburbs and have backyards to play in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment