Monday, December 26, 2022

Boxing Day


Today we get to experience what it is like to live in Great Britain and to experience Boxing Day. This is the holiday which follows Christmas and is a legal holiday. This only occurs when Christmas is on a Sunday. The government isn't really open on Sundays anyway, so they have to close the post office, libraries, garbage disposal, town hall, etc. on the following Monday. Because of the bad weather on Friday and Saturday, Monday would normally be the day when we could get on with our lives but things are at a standstill in many areas because Monday is a legal holiday, ie. an English Boxing Day. 

I know I'm being a Scrooge but I'd like to throw out my Christmas refuse but the cans are all filled. I'd like to get the mail. I'd like to borrow a library book. Humbug. 

At least most of the stores are open. I went to my favorite supermercado and was able to use the self check out. It went smoothly. No message "unknown item in the baggage area". Don't repeat this but I think supermarket clerks quietly disable the scale for purchased items when they are short staffed. You didn't hear it from me. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment