Friday, May 6, 2022

Going back to the office


 For millions of Americans, the past month or so has meant the return to the office. After working from home for over a year, many companies and government agencies (i.e. New Jersey government) have been requiring a return to the office. While this is great news for restaurants that depend on the office workers for business, it has not been the best news for workers.

I recently was listening to the lament of a back to the office employee. "Now I have to rush in the morning and do my hair          everyday!" Before nobody cared what she looked like. "Now I have to deal with morning traffic!" Not like commuting from the bedroom to the living room. "And I'm still making coffee because the lazy people in my group wait for me to do it!" Well, she was making coffee before. "All the people I liked are gone and all the people I can't stand are here!" That always happens.  "Nosy Marilyn didn't know I was divorced and she insisted I give her all the gory details!" Every office has nosy people. 

Another development seems to be that in many cases, higher ranking people are still allowed to work from home while the peons are forced back into the office. So if you have a question you still have to email somebody. 

Having the boss away has its advantages. I remember I liked when my boss wasn't there. I could work without being interrupted or asked to go to surprise meetings. Sometimes you can work more efficiently when bosses and even co-workers are miles away.  


No comments:

Post a Comment